PURPOSE/ROLE: Oceanit is seeking a Senior Software Engineer to design, develop and implement innovative software with an emphasis on algorithm development and resusable architectures. The incumbent will interact with Oceanit's scientists and engineers as well as external customers to define requirements and present results. We are looking for someone who will thrive in Oceanit's transdisciplinary, fast-paced, creative environment. We currently have software work in natural language processing, image processing, cyber security, scientific data analysis and machine learning. The ideal candidate will be able to learn quickly and move into new areas.
THE VALUE YOU DELIVER:
- Work within a horizontal management structure and an agile team environment
- Lead small project-based software teams
- Take responsibility for assigned technical software deliverables
- Promote advancement and mentorship to fellow team members' career paths and skill sets
- Generate innovative ideas and solutions for Oceanit projects and strategies for business growth
- Design, modify, develop, debug and test software using Java, C++, Python or other programming languages under Linux, Windows, MacOS or other operating systems
- Develop innovative algorithms to solve novel problems
- Use standard tools for configuration management, issue tracking, etc.
- Document software APIs and user interfaces
- Produce clean, elegant, maintainable and extensible code
- Troubleshoot, test and analyze problems and determine solutions
THE EXPERTISE WE'RE LOOKING FOR:
- Masters degree in an appropriate technology field or 2 years additional work experience, required. PhD in an appropriate technology field preferred.
- 3 years of experience developing software, including design and documentation of software algorithms and architectures, required.
- Experience with all aspects of the software development process, required.
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following: image processing, natural language processing, cyber security, scientific data analysis, artificial intelligence, machine learning, user interface design, instrument control, agent-based systems.
- Experience writing innovative and competitive proposals to obtain funding, preferred.
- Must have excellent problem-solving skills, strong attention to detail and the ability to learn new software technologies quickly.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and the ability to operate effectively independently and within a team, required.
- Must be eligible for DOD clearance requiring background investigation.